The term Smart City means a smart city that can be self-sufficient in terms of both technology and energy; it is a center that, by exploiting digitalisation, is able to put the life and needs of its citizens first. Although this term is often associated with large capitals, among which Milan stands out according to FPA’s ICity Rate 2018, in reality its principles can be found in different environments.CampusX, since its rebirth, has made the idea of Smart City its strong point.
Smart cities: the five principles for a sustainable reality
Of the cardinal principles of Smart Cities, CampusX has embraced several ideas including:
- The development of “Green Buildings”. According to the Seenwind agency, which specializes in environmental engineering and telecommunications, these structures are built to reduce water costs by 40% – 70%, while improving the energy performance of buildings.
- Greens. With over 15,000 m2 of green parks, CampusX has succeeded in incorporating the true pillar of the Smart Cities into its residences, employing many native species that reduce irrigation needs.
- Renewable and clean energy. Another strength of CampusX and associated with the idea of an intelligent city is the exploitation of clean and renewable energy that depends to a minimum extent on fossil sources and external resources. This allows the structures to be totally self-sufficient.
- From advanced telecommunications to monitoring energy consumption, entering the digital age has allowed us to keep all consumption under control, organizing completely even the daily activities.
- Commitment of the inhabitants. Obviously, the central and main point at the base of the good functioning of a Smart City is the constant and complete commitment of all the inhabitants. For this reason, we can say that the smart cities start from the bottom, from the citizens, and shape their needs.
Smart Citizens: the importance of intelligent and collective collaboration
As it happens in a big smart city, even from CampusX the collective collaboration is the basis for a constant growth of the structures. The needs and the solutions proposed by all the guests mean that these become true “smart” citizens, of the Smart Citizens that actively participate in the life of the structure, taking care of it. In fact, CampusX provides a Smart environment for its part that respects all the canons of the smart city, on the other hand it is the individual guests who live it who play a predominant role in the social and overall growth of the residence.